Big Idea: It’s easy to feel that we don’t fit into God’s plan for intergenerational faith. However, by embracing God’s vision we can fight against the messages of the enemy that shame and isolate us.
God wants us to enjoy a rich tapestry of interconnected relationships that transcend our life stage.
- Opening our hearts – big feelings
- There is no place for me. I don’t fit here.
- It’s too late. What is done is done.
- Shame – enemies within and without
- Timeless truth
- Balance of responsibility
- The danger of being under responsible (Deuteronomy 6)
- The danger of being over responsible (Ezekiel 18)
- You will not out-parent God.
- No condemnation (including self-condemnation) (Romans 8:1)
- You are part of God’s family. (Romans 8:14-17, Mark 10:29)
- Your life stage is not a mistake.
- It’s not too late.
- God is actively seeking prodigals. (Luke 13:34)
- Intercession is powerful. (James 5:16b, Hebrews 7:25)
- If you feel convicted, repent. Otherwise, release the past.
- Actively refuse and reject condemnation, including self-condemnation.
- Accept God’s vision for the family of God. Believe the truth that we need you.
- Intercede for the next generation.
- How inclusive does Calvary church feel to you? What makes you feel like you belong? How important is it for you to have community with others based on life stage? Or would you prefer to experience community that isn’t organized around a common age or marital status? Why or why not?
- When it comes to waiting, what is the longest you have waited for someone you love to come to faith? Share your stories. How did you handle the waiting? Did you give up hope? When does hope turn into false hope? Is there a time limit on hope?
- What is the main source of shaming messages? Have you ever heard anyone being directly shamed for their adult children not following the faith? Is it possible to feel “shamed” when no one said anything shaming? How do we know if one is projecting their emotions on to the group?
- Which is the bigger problem: parents or others not taking appropriate responsibility or parents or others feeling over responsible? What is the difference between feeling conviction and feeling shame? Is it easy to keep shame and conviction separate all the time?
- Do you believe that intercessory prayer really changes reality? How does it work? Do you have an example or testimony you would like to share? Do you have a prayer team that supports you?
- What do you do to feel released from past sins? Is it easy for you to remind yourself of what is true? Is Satan real? How much influence can spiritual forces have on our thoughts and feelings?
- Would you be interested in interceding for the next generation? How do you do that? How do you pray intelligently with up-to-date information? Would you consider joining a group that intercedes? If so, you can sign up with Pastor Larry.