1Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, 2looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart.
Seven practices that enable people to finish well:
• FOCUS ON INSPIRING CHRISTIANS.
• ADOPT A "GREAT ADVENTURE" MIND SET.
• SET ASIDE BOTH WEIGHTS AND SINS.
• LEARN TO PERSEVERE.
• LOOK TO JESUS.
• MAKE JOY A PRIMARY MOTIVATION.
• HANDLE SUFFERING AND SHAME LIKE JESUS.
Using this list, review your own life and answer the following questions:
1. What are two practices that you have successfully incorporated into your life?
2. What are two practices in which you most need to improve?
3. Describe a biblical character or identify a passage of Scripture that will help you to grow in these two areas.
4. Describe a Christian (or Christians) whom you respect who excels in each of the two areas in which you wish to improve. Describe ways you might interact with that person (those persons) to benefit from their wisdom in these matters.
5. As you review the list of seven practices that ensure that your life will end well, what other factors come to your mind that you will need to pay attention to?