I. True Faith Focuses on Jesus . (v. 1-4)
A. Focusing on a future promise (v. 1)
B. Focusing on the true Champion (v. 2-4)
1. Jesus finished the race for our souls . (v. 2)
2. Jesus will help you overcome . (v. 3)
3. Jesus gives us perspective . (v. 4)
• Hebrews 5:7-9
II. Focusing on God as Our Parent (v. 5-11)
A. Discipline is about love . (v. 5, 6)
• Proverbs 3:11, 12
B. Discipline is about instruction . (v. 7-9a)
C. Discipline leads to holiness . (v. 9b-10)
• Human discipline is limited to childhood .
• Human discipline is limited in scope .
• God’s discipline lasts for a lifetime and is not limited in scope .
• His purpose: That we may share his holiness .
D. Focusing on the outcome . (v. 11)
1) What are the “weights” that sometimes keep you from running the race of faith? (verse 1)
2) Do you finding yourself focusing more on your trials or more on Jesus “the founder and perfecter of our faith”? (verse 2)
3) What is the “joy” that motivated Jesus to endure the cross? (verse 2) How is that “joy” lived out in your life?
4) How has the Lord disciplined you? Were you able to find God’s good purpose in it? (verse 10)
5) What does it mean to “share his (God’s) holiness”? (verse 10)
6) How will your focus change the next time you encounter trials or temptation?