Big Idea: God gave essential gifts to build up the church in the form of people who act in specific capacities. These multifaceted gifts and giftedness equip and mobilize God’s people to become and to fulfill all that God desires.
I. Five Leadership Gifts to the Church
A. Different kinds of gifts (Ephesians 4:11 vs. I Corinthians 12)
III. What is our reality?
A. Western Christianity has neglected three of the five.
B. Two of the five haven’t worked well.
A. We need to repent and return to God’s plan.
B. We need to reclaim what God has given us.
C. If you are one of these neglected gifts, reengage with the local church.
1) What is the difference between the spiritual gifts and God giving gifts in the form of roles within the church?
Why were these mentioned but not others roles?
2) Which gift do you appreciate the most (Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Shepherd, Teacher)? Which do you appreciate the least?
3) In your spiritual experience, which of these has been most emphasized? Have any been ignored?
4) What happens when the church outsources some of these roles?
5) What are some potential unintended consequences of people who operate in these roles ignoring the church? What happens if all the evangelists ignore the local church? What happens if all the self-starting / network-building leaders ignore the local church?
6) Can the church be all God intended if it reject or ignores one or more of these roles?
7) Do you have a sense that you might be one of these gifts to the church?
8) What is God saying to you about this passage that you need to do?