The Bible speaks of different aspects of faith.
Most Christ followers live with a mixture of faith and fear that impacts their relationship with Jesus.
14:13-21 is a _______________________________________________ .
14:22-24 is a _______________________________________________ .
14:25,26 is a _______________________________________________ .
14:27-29 is a _______________________________________________ .
14:30-32 is a _______________________________________________ .
1) Recall a time when you were fearful. How did you respond? What did you learn about yourself in that experience?
2) Share with the group an irrational fear you have.
1) This is a familiar story in the life of Jesus. What ONE word would you choose to describe it?
2) Read Mark 6:51, 52. What does Mark add to the story? What does Mark want us to understand?
3) The Gospels reveal Jesus ‘entering’ into the disciples’ lives in deeply personal ways. (i.e., Peter and the lake, Jesus at Zaccheus’ home, etc.). Identify other examples of Jesus entering into people’s lives in deeply personal ways. How are you permitting Jesus into your story?
4) Proverbs 1:7 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,” and 9:10 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” How would you teach a child the difference between Peter’s fear and the fear described in these Proverbs.
5) What is your reaction to the statement, “Faith is primarily about obedience, not risk”?
6) Recall a time when you sensed that Jesus was asking you to step out of the boat. What did you learn about Jesus in that experience? What did you learn about yourself?
1) How much grip does fear have on your life?
2) Define one specific way you can apply the words of Jesus, “Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid” to your fear.