I. Background: Paul prays and watches for opportunities to share Jesus.
(vs. 16-21; cf., Matthew 28:18-20; Colossians 4:2-6)
God saved you to make you a vessel of eternal life to others. (II Corinthians 5:18-20)
II. How Paul shares Jesus: he helps people...
A. Recognize that God exists. (vs. 22-23; cf., Psalm 19:1; Romans 1:19; Hebrews 3:4; 11:6)
B. Recognize who God is. (vs. 24-29; cf., Psalm 103:18; Isaiah 44:9-20; Lamentations 5:19;
I Corinthians 10:20; I Timothy 2:3; Revelation 4:11)
C. Respond to God's message in repentant faith. (vs. 30-34; cf., Daniel 7:13-14; John 5:22-27;
Acts 10:34-43; 14:16; 1 Peter 1:17-21)
III. Five takeaways:
1. Pray, listen, look for connecting points to the Gospel. Be patient. (I Corinthians 1:21-24; 2:14)
2. Know where people are coming from and graciously take the opportunities God gives you.
(I Corinthians 9:19-23)
3. Start where they are, use words they understand, and talk about God in a personal way.
4. Don't be afraid to let people know that we will all one day give an account to Jesus whom God raised
from the dead. (Hebrews 9:27)
5. Use questions and tools that help proclaim Christ and answer people's questions.
• Do you have any kind of spiritual belief?
• To you, who is Jesus?
• Do you think there is a heaven and a hell?
• If you died right now, where would you go?
• If what you believe were not true, would you want to know it?
• For smart people: Einstein was asked, "What percent do you know of all that is knowable in the
universe?" He replied, "Less than 1/10th of 1%." Is it possible that God could exist outside of the 99+%
that you don't know?
• Helpful Scriptures: John 3:3; 14:6; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 10:9-10
Successful evangelism isn't leading someone to Christ. Success is acting out your Christian life, sharing the Gospel, and trusting God for the results. Bill Fay (Share Jesus Without Fear, B&H Books, 1999)
1. Do you find it easy or difficult to share the Gospel? Why, for many, do we find sharing the message of Jesus so hard?
2. What is the role of prayer in evangelism? How does prayer work? Can you think of Scriptures to support your understanding?
3. Do we still have idols today? If so, what are some of the more popular ones? If you care to share, what idol(s) do you find most besetting to your spiritual walk? Where you've had victory, what or who has been most helpful in your breaking free from idols?
4. Why is how we say something often as important as what we say?
5. Does your concept of God influence your spiritual and emotional health? Your behavior? If so, how?
6. Have you ever wondered why you were born where you were born and why you live in this community today?
7. Do we seek God or does God seek us, or both? How can we help others find him? Share an experience in which you helped someone find God.
8. What is the role of repentance in salvation?
9. Have you ever appealed to final judgment when sharing the Gospel? Have you appealed to the historicity of Jesus' resurrection as the basis of His future role as our Judge? If so, tell us more.
10. Have you found any tools particularly helpful in sharing the Gospel?
11. How can we help one another improve our evangelistic skill and effectiveness?