Big Idea: God’s people ask God hard questions, such as, “Why do I have to watch these ugly things?”, “Why is this taking so long?” and “Why do the bad guys seem to win?” God invites us to trust in Him through a life of faith as we wait and praise Him no matter what, actively participating in filling the earth with the knowledge of Him.
I. Tough questions for God (1:1-7, 17)
A. Why does God let us witness things we can’t change?
B. Why does God respond so slowly to injustice?
C. Why does God use more sinful people to judge less sinful ones? (1:13)
II. God’s answers ( 1:5-7; 2:1-4, 14)
A. Wait for God’s time. (2:2-3)
B. Live by faith.
C. God will deal with those who rebel in accordance with their rebellion.
D. God will fill the earth with knowledge of Himself.
III. Changing the way we live
A. Wait on God.
B. Make faith a way of life.
C. Leave vengeance to God.
D. Fill the earth with the knowledge of God.
E. Praise God in gritty resilience. (3:17-19)
1) What is the worst thing you have personally had to personally witness? How did what you saw change you?
2) Do you watch the news? Why or why not? How do you respond to hearing about things you can’t change?
3) Why does it take so long to get things done in the legal system? Why does God not respond immediately to requests for justice?
4) What does it mean that “the righteous will live by faith”? How do you live that out?
5) What is the hardest thing you have ever praised God through? What is the difference between praising God in blessing and praising God in adversity?
6) How can you fill your little corner of creation with the glory and knowledge of God?
7) What one thing will you commit to doing to apply this teaching?