Big Idea: How we speak to each other can either build up or tear down. How Christians speak can break the heart of God and discredit the gospel. As we leave the old patterns of life we can make God look good by living with others in grace, and in reconciled relationships.
I. A new filter (29)
A. Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouth.
II. A new Spirit (30)
A. Not grieving the Spirit
B. Making the heart of God happy
III. Letting go of old emotions (31)
A. All bitterness
IV. Making way for new growth (32)
A. Be kind,…
C. …Forgiving as God forgave you.
1) How would you rate your “filter” on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being you say everything you’re thinking, and 10 you are very good at holding in your thoughts?
Is there a difference between thinking something and saying something? If so, how much?
2) How much do you think timing matters when bringing up an issue?
3) What does it mean to you to “grieve the Holy Spirit”? What do you think grieves the heart of God most?
4) How do you react to God being an emotional God? Is that reassuring, scary or somewhere in between?
5) Is anger automatically sinful?
6) How do you treat your emotions? Are they automatically valid because you feel them? Or do you discount emotions as unreliable?
7) When you look at the list of negative emotions and behaviors, which one jumps out at you as being an issue for you personally (bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander, malice)?
8) How are you doing with forgiveness? Is there someone you need to connect with? Would you be willing to reach out to them this week?
9) What single step of obedience is God calling you to in light of his truth?