1) In the opening scene of the musical, the friends decide they need to investigate what it means to have a relationship with Jesus. Maggie P.I. confesses, “I know He has saved me, but I sometimes get off track and need to be reminded of what it looks like to follow Him.”
Does this ever happen to you? Do you think you have a good grasp of what it looks like to follow Jesus? Do you ever need reminders? What do you think causes you to “get off track” in the first place?
2) The song “Whatever” is based on Philippians 4:8, pointing us to the kinds of things we need to think about if we want to know Christ more. How would you describe your own thought life? Are the things listed in this verse the kinds of things you actually spend time thinking about? Discuss with your group some topics that fall into these categories – things that are true, just, noble, honorable, pure, excellent, praiseworthy, etc. Are there other things you need to spend less time thinking about? What kinds of things are those?
3) As they consider the question of when to pray, the kids discover I Thessalonians 5:16-18 – “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” How do we do that? How do we rejoice when we don’t feel happy? How is it even possible to “pray continually”? How do we give thanks in miserable circumstances? And why does it matter if we do?
4) The chorus of the song “Wherever” begins, “Wherever I am, Lord, all I have to do is call on You, You are there. Wherever I am, Lord, shining like a light, You’re by my side, everywhere, You’re wherever.”
How have you experienced God’s presence? Are there times when you don’t feel like He is with you? Are there any practices in your life that help you recognize His presence when you might not otherwise?
5) “Love’s the reason why.” Do you know the love that God demonstrated in sending Jesus to be our Savior? How have you experienced His love?