Quiz: 1:___ 2:___ 3:___ 4:___ 5:___ 6:___ 7:___ 8:___ 9:___ 10:___
I. Worshiping God in spirit
It’s not the place or the ritual, but the heart and ________ of your worship our heavenly Father seeks.
God will one day hold every person on the planet accountable for who, what, and how we worship (Ro 1:19-25).
II. Worshiping God in truth
We worship in truth by making sure we have the right ______ , worshiping him as he has revealed himself in his Bible.
A. The triunity of God (Gen 1:1; Isa 48:16; Mt 28:19; Mk 12:29-30)
B. Key attributes of God (worship application)
• Personal Spirit (Jn 4:23-24): ______________________________________________________
• Holy (1 Cor 6:19-20; 1 Pet 1:15-16): ________________________________________________
• Love (1 Jn 4:8; Jn 13:34; 14:21; 15:13): _____________________________________________
• Eternal (Rev 1:8; Jn 6:40; Gal 2:20): ________________________________________________
• Omnipotent (Rev 19:6; Mt 11:28-30): _______________________________________________
• Omnipresent (Ps 139:7-12; Mt 28:20; Heb 13:5-6): ____________________________________
• Omniscient (Ps 147:5; Prov 8:35-36): _______________________________________________
• Sovereign (Ps 103:19; Ro 8:28): ___________________________________________________
• Unchangable (Mal 3:6; Heb 13:8): __________________________________________________
• Just/Righteous (Ps 11:7; 19:9; 1 Jn 2:29): ____________________________________________
• Good (Mk 10:18; Acts 14:17; Lk 6:27-36): ____________________________________________
• Glorious (Jn 1:14-18; Eph 5:27; Ro 8:17): ____________________________________________
We worship God in spirit and truth, conforming to him and his realm, by following his word in obedient faith, despite our circumstances.
C. Key names of God
• Elohim: Creator, unlimited greatness, majesty
• Yahweh: personal, self-existent, covenant keeper
• Adonai: Lord, master, owner; NT Kurios
• Theos: most common NT “God”
• Compound names: e.g., El Shaddai (Almighty One)
• Father (personal “daddy”): 245 times in NT!
III. Jesus, God with us (Jn 1:1-18), helps us worship God in spirit and truth
1) God says that who we worship is a matter of life and death: true worshipers, Jesus said the ones God ultimately accepts in heaven will worship the Father in spirit and truth here on earth. What are common ways our culture reduces God to someone more like us? What tips would you give others to help them worship God in spirit and truth?
2) In what ways has a materialistic worldview influenced you or your view of God? Read Romans 1:19-25. How do you react to the idea that one day God will hold every person accountable for who, what, and how we worship? Is this motivating, discouraging, or not applicable to you? How so? Why?
3) How does 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 influence the way you live? What changes, if any, would you like to make based on it? If you’re comfortable, pray with a partner about it now or this week.
4) We worship in truth by making sure we have the right God, worshiping Him as He has revealed Himself in His Bible. Have you ever had to explain the triune nature of God to anyone? If so, how did it go? What did you say? If not, but you had to today, what would you say? What analogies, illustrations, or Scriptures have been most helpful?
5) Which of the attributes of God do you find most encouraging? Most perplexing? Most troublesome or challenging? Why? What are two worship applications you took away from today’s message?
6) God uses, “Father,” in the New Testament 245 times for His children. What connotations does this image bring to your mind? How do poor fatherly models impact the use of this name? How could the biblical description of a good father improve this situation?
7) We worship God in spirit and truth, conforming to Him and His realm by following His Word in heartfelt obedient faith, despite our circumstances. What is the biggest challenge you’re facing today? What is God teaching you through it? How could you better worship God through it? If you’re comfortable, pray about it with a partner now or this week.
8) Read John 1:10-18. How did the entrance of Jesus solve our human dilemma? How has He helped you worship God in spirit and truth?
9) If you’re comfortable sharing, how did you do on the quiz? What area(s) of God’s truth need your further study and meditation?